I have about 55 minutes until my first month's subscription expires. I have been putting off playing any more. You know how you get into an awesome game and think about your in-game aspirations constantly, dream about it, and sit at work counting the minutes until you can go home and play some more? WoW couldn't have been farther from that for me. The idea of playing some more feels like a chore I should probably do but don't really want to, not a fun, energizing diversion.
Perhaps my expectations were too high due to the years of hearing friends talk it up. Perhaps trying to blog it added a detrimental chore-like component. Perhaps the game started off feeling dated and uninspired and lame and didn't improve within the first few hours, by which time it had already lost me. Probably it was all those things; mostly I think it was the last one.
At this point I intend to come back sometime and see if high-level play is the promised land I've been promised. I'l pay $15 more bucks, even though I have certainly not put $15 of strain on Blizzard's servers in the last month and it feels like the rip-off it is to pay based on calendar, not usage. I'll rescue Gaidar from wherever it was I left his incorporeal placemarker, or whatever residue it is that characters leave behind when their players are away. (Maybe a little plaque saying Here He Died of Dysentery?)
But, uh, not right now…
No comments:
Post a Comment